Friday, January 2, 2009

2008 in Review

2007 was tough and full of difficult lessons. I entered 2008 full of hope of a far better year than the one before (my first YIM status message: "2008 = a nice time for everyone"). And better I got, challenges that is. Several years back I decided to nix the rarely accomplished or productive 'New Years Resolutions' for shiny new 'Intentions'. This dramatic shift in languaging brought with it a dramatic shift in results. 2007's "I am deepening in my experience of sharing Loving." [paraphrased], brought many and varied challenges (yay!) in all my closest relationships and redefined within me what it means to love. Albeit, in delightfully difficult and profoundly painful ways.

'08 saw me playing it 'safe' and focusing on "experiencing financial abundance". Low and behold, my Spirit Guides and Soul have not only a rather deep affection for IRONY, but also an exceptionally high opinion of my coping abilities (joy!). Needless to say, the past year has been the hardest financially in 17 years (when I was in college I lived on $200 a month, with about $175 of it going to rent and bills). While certainly had more income than back then, I also had substantially more expenses. A mere month ago, one of my remaining options was to give up my lovely apartment, sell my stuff and move to Frankfort, KY to live with my Brother. And, by extention take up alcoholism as drunk is the only way I could get thru more than a week living in Kentucky. There were other numerous difficulties along the way as well, making it one of the toughest years so far (considering my years of strugging with deep depresions in the past, that's saying something). A 'nice time' indeed. Not.

As the year came to a close and a new one dawned, I spent it in the company of a dear friend and put a side all thoughts of 'Resolutions' or 'Intentions' (I've had enough to deal with right?). But on further reflection, hindsight being as it is, my prespective has changed. Money has never really been much of a priority for me, it's only value the enjoyment it can bring by purchasing gifts for others or fun times with friends, and the occassional pretty thing for me. Growing up, my Mother always stressed and acknowledged when someone "might not be rich in dollars, but they're wealthier than any millionaire".

My bank account may have been underfed, but my heart was not. I 've had chats via text, phone, yim and in person that have sustained and supported me in invaluable ways. I've also had some of the best, most memorable times this year, thanks in no small part to some friends I met through youtube and myspace randomness courtesy of some 'other guy'.

January started off well. First I rang the year in with DSC fun, hosted a Gumbyliscious Guest and I liberated myself from Crazy Corporate Hotel Spa Hell, freeing me to liberate my Dad from Utah and get to spend some quality sick time together with our two little doggies. I got a chance to let go of some of what I had been holding against him and let more love in.

February brought a new Spa, and another helping of glutton for punishment it seems (yay for work karma).

March was Lisa's visit from Australia, lots of DSC fun and another visit from my friend Gumby. Also, a sneak peek at a film and great night out with friends. Nice Times all around.

April saw a surprisingly good return from the tax man. I seriously adore my tax guy, he is magic.

May saw a shift in my living situation, as it was time for dear Stephanie to move on to her own place.

June was a flurry of activity, loads of cleaning, clutter purging and massive productivity courtesy of various personal and universal energetics. Also the start of 2 straight months of consistent insomnia. Having never had ANY trouble sleeping a good 9 or 10 hours a day on average, getting a maximum total of 5 hours accumulative sleep a day really sucked. But again, whoop from productivity.

July brought several new experiences, the first of which was SDCC. WHY? Because I have bright ideas like distracting myself with new, unusual things that I wouldn't normally ever do (g4p, ftw). It didn't entirely suck. Nd now I get to say, been there done that. On a better note, the ukDSC invasion (of my home) and my dearest Twin, Kat (and her bestie Sian), Miss Thorpe (who is now legal in all countries - watch out), Paulie Boy (Toy), the Beautiful Brenda, Captivating Kim and Rufus. I mean Wilko, or Mark or whoever the effe he is. Also joining is at various times were many other DSCers, 30 in all from 4 US States and 3 other Countries. I miss my Brits, my home is far to empty with out you. Thanks fellas for leaving me your undergarments as souviners to remember you by.

August was more Brit visit and subsequent recovery. If Leanne ever overdoes her fun in the sun like that again, I will personally travel to wherever and wring her precious neck. Also, during the summer, I gained a few new friends at work who have grown in promising and appreciated relationships.

September was mostly focused on the roomie search and financial stress. And seeing first hand how life being uncooperative and down right antagonistic can be handled with grace, dignity, perseverence and cheer. Thank you Lesley and Happy Birthday again.

November was full of 35th Birthday Celebrations, including a whole week of fun and companionship with my oldest and dearest friends Rhonda and Michelle. Those two have helped me through SO MUCH in my life. To just enjoy and chill and hang with them like old times was the BEST. Fabulous parties and dinners and loads of cocktails and great food were preety cool too.

December. Dark night of my bank balance. Google search for jobs in Kentucky and 'How to Be an Alcoholic'. Yay, for finding a good new roomie!!! 11th hour. Seriously. I was "-" this close to typing this from a loonie bin in the Bluegrass. Also, loads of fun times with BW friends and some seriously insightful and much needed sharing from the light that is my dear Lesley.

When I look back at my year, I don't remember the hard times, worries or tears. I remember the fun and friends, the loving and laughing. The joy and enjoyment. When I look back at 2008, I can only see with my heart and the Loving shines so brightly that all I can feel is gratitude and blessing. My years was a wealthy of Loving and Grace. My 2008 was rich beyond measure.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Kasha's year! Boo and crap on the parts that sucked, but all in all I think it was an okay year for both of us... Nothing blew up, and nobody died, anyway (knock wood!)

    I'm glad you're seeing the light in it; the friends you got to meet/make, the way the universe saved you from losing your home, the re-awakening of your ability to form romantic attachments... all good things.

    And then there's me, of course. Hee! ;D

    Of course, I count this as a very good year: my family got together for the holidays for the first time ever, I made a wonderful new friend, I re-connected with a good old friend, I lost ten pounds, and my mom hasn't kicked me out yet. I even made some money over the "slow" winter period! All good. All light. All love.

    Good job, us!

    ReplyDelete