Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wellness: Gua Sha

Having worked in the wellness field for the last 11 years, with extensive training in a wide range of modalities, I have some familiarity with most of techniques out there. So when I come across something new (to me) that shows actual results and has a positive effect, I get pretty stocked. Thanks, to my colleague Bryan, I have now received the benefits of the ancient Chinese Medicine technique, Gua Sha. He used a ceramic spoon, rather than the more aggressive tool of animal horn shown in the video below.

It is an 'alternative' therapy to say the least, but actually rather pleasant to receive, and the effects of it were almost immediately noticeable. Areas on my arms that have been recently bothering me, turned up with quite a stippling effect while other areas that weren't as much an issue didn't even turn pink.

I initially figured that this would only work on the superficial lymphatic and meridian systems, but found the muscle tissue loosening and the warming effect to not only feel nice, but also have the distinct sensation of my body going hard to work on healing the areas.

All in all, I found this therapy to be surprisingly effective and I would recommend it to anyone who has constriction, areas of chronic muscle tension and energy stagnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment