Saturday, January 3, 2009

Paraphrased from an article from Time:
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1869319,00.html?xid=feed-netzero-featured

A study on the difference between Eastern & Western concepts of wisdom showed 4 groups of college students (America, Aussie, Indian & Japanese) all the possible pairings of 'wise' with the following words: aged, awakened, discreet, experienced, intuitive and knowledgeable.

Which of those words do you associate the most with 'wise'?



Western students said 'knowledgeable' or 'experienced' were most similar to 'wise', but the easterners most associated 'wise' with 'discreet.'

Personally, I associate 'awakened' more with with 'wise' than 'experienced' or 'discreet' (although sometimes discretion is the wisest choice to make, right?). I can see 'knowledgeable' since we consider 'wise' mean someone who 'knows' what to do. But, when I think of 'wise' I think of awareness of Self, situation, actions, personal responsibility, choices, etc. Which I then link to 'awakened', since many people are sleepwalking through life still, neither aware nor particularly wise. I certainly don't blame them, it seems to be a whole lot easier not to notice. But, then, by extension, far less rewarding I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment